Monday, January 26, 2009

My Top Ten

(c) 2002 Jim Morrison

Everyone who’s anyone has a Top Ten list, so why shouldn’t I? I don’t know how they get soda into the can, I couldn’t find the cosine of an angle if you drew me a map, and I don’t know how to get my kids to pick up their toys, but after 15 years, I’ve learned a lot about houses: how to build ‘em, and how to wreck ‘em. I’ve seen what works and I’ve seen what doesn’t. So if you’re planning to build a house or addition, or you’re simply remodeling your existing house, here’s my top ten list of Do’s and Don’ts, in no particular order:



Don’ts



1. Don’t install telephone jacks in the bathroom.


This started becoming common about 20 years ago. Now, unless you have access to one of those buttons that are necessary to respond to a nuclear attack, you know you don’t receive any calls important enough to interrupt a trip to the bathroom. And I think I speak for the rest of society when I tell you that we don’t want you to call us from the bathroom regardless of what you might be doing there, so what’s the point?


2. Don’t install cable TV jacks in the bathrooms.


Call me old fashioned, but I use the bathroom to perform a few necessary functions, then I leave. If I want to watch the telly, I do it on my couch, and I have never seen a show I didn’t mind missing for a few minutes while answering nature’s call. Why are we trying to turn bathrooms into family rooms? The fact that TV’s and DVD players are commonly found in many new American cars, bathrooms, and nearly every kids’ bedroom makes me fear for the future of our species.


3. Don’t bother having a standard sized whirlpool bathtub installed.


I wouldn’t waste my money on a regular sized tub with jets in the sides. People can spend a lot of money on these tubs and rarely use them, if ever. Most homeowners I run into don’t even know how to operate them because nobody has time to sit in the tub anymore and most tubs are too small for average sized adults anyway. I say: if you’re going to have one installed, make it a big one that you could fit at least two people in. Then, maybe you’ll make the time to soak in it.


4. Don’t use fake materials.


You know that waferboard stuff you see on the exterior walls of new houses that is supposed to be as good as plywood? It’s called OSB, and it’s only just as good as plywood until it gets wet, then its as good as cardboard. The reason you shouldn’t use it on roof and wall sheathing is because these exterior surfaces often get wet, and the OSB just doesn’t hold up. Besides, last time I checked the price of lumber, substituting it for plywood ends up saving you less than a thousand dollars (usually only ½ that), and with the cost of homes these days it just isn’t worth it. This stuff is fine for subflooring, but If I had my way, we’d keep it off the exterior surfaces.


That’s not to say all new materials are bad. I really like the cement based clapboards currently on the market. They look like wood, but they don’t pretend to be wood. They are made of cement and will probably outlast any other building component in the house.


While we’re on the subject, I also don’t like the melanine-coated particle board trim I’m starting to see a lot more of. It looks great out of the box, cuts easily, and takes paint nicely, but it nicks and dents very easily. If you have kids, or are planning to sell the house with someone with kids, my advice is: spring for real wood trim.


5. Don’t oversize heating equipment.


Make sure that whoever is installing your heating system has performed a thorough heat loss analysis on the structure first. Most systems are sized by “eyeballing” the house and putting in a unit that the installer is absolutely sure will heat the house. This typically results in a heating system that is oversized by a factor of two. On the coldest day of the year, your system should run almost continuously. Oversized systems mean you spent too much money on the equipment and installation, and your fuel bills will always be too high.


6. Don’t assume anything.


The details you might have seen in the model home are not necessarily included in your house, so make sure you ask if it isn’t clear. Most often you can get these extras put into your house for an additional charge, but you should be sure and check with the builder as early in the process as possible. Changing your mind during the building process can be very expensive and frustrating for you and your builder.


7. Don’t sign a contract without getting to know your builder.


Builders are no different than people in every other profession. There are the very good, the very bad, and the ones in-between. The builder who supervises the folks working on your home will make the difference between your dream home, and a nightmare. You should get to know him or her and if you’re not comfortable that the two of you are a good match, find a builder who suits you. You’ll both be glad you did.


Do’s:


8. Do build with 2x6 walls instead of 2x4’s.


They are much stronger and can hold more insulation. It’s worth it. They also allow for more insulation in the walls, and that reduces your energy costs. Forever.


9. Do insist that the foundation should stick up past the finished grade as far as possible-18” at the bare minimum.


This is the number one best thing you can do to discourage termites (and other serious problems). The Massachusetts Building Code has a minimum required distance between the finished grade and the lowest wood members, but it is widely ignored. Make sure the foundation sits nice and high and the soil slopes away from your house and you’ll be way ahead of the game. This is one of those things that is pretty difficult to change once the house is complete.


10. Do get a professional, independent home inspection.


OK, so this sounds a little self serving. People buying new homes today are typically spending $400,000 and up. Doesn’t it make sense to spend six or eight hundred dollars to have a knowledgeable professional evaluate the structure for you before you sign on the dotted line? Nobody wants to hear bad news, but like it or not, that's just about all I sell. Most buyers don’t really want to know what’s wrong with their new dream home, they’d rather assume everything is perfect. Your builder isn’t eager to have some know-it-all inspector come in and Monday morning quarterback him either. If there are real estate agents involved, they’d probably prefer that the purchase proceed as smoothly as possible too. The truth is: I’ve never had anyone come up to me at an inspection and say: “Thank God you’re here, we’re all so eager to have you nit-pick this house for 3-4 hours!” Its one of the reasons I still haven’t told my mother what I do for a living. But the truth is, every defect I’ve ever found in a house can be fixed and most of them are fixed easily. Why not address them right up front?


Jim Morrison
978.851.6315
Morrison Home Inspections
"Each house tells a story. We write 'em down."
Hablo Español
Empowering homebuyers with the information they need to make solid decisions since 1987

No comments:

Post a Comment